A vigilant 311 reported submitted this image at 01/05/2017 07:33:19 AM showing a dumped TV at 5800 Kemble Street.
Lets look at this dump site and the City’s Sanitation Convenience Centers.
Three of the 6 Centers are sjhown on this map along with the TV dump site to show the distance between teh dump site and a proper disposal site.
The Strawberry Mansion and NW Center are about 6 miles from this TV dump site. The dumper had a choice, he/she could have taken the old TV to one of these stations 6 days of the week, yet chose to dump it on the street corner. Why?
There are 2 main reasons why TVs get dumped on our streets:
- Many, if not most, Philadelphians are not aware of the City’s Sanitation Convenience Centers and their acceptance of old TVs and other electronic 6 days a week as well as mattresses, tires and other typical dump materials..
- The Dumper knows about the City’s Centers but simply chose to dump, rather than take the little extra time to bring it to one o fhte Centers.
The City’s San Convenience centers are an excellent program to try and help City residents handle trash between trash collection days.
Here are 4 simple recommendations for how the City can increase use of these Centers and reduce illegal street dumping:
- Public Service Announcements by all elected (City, State, Federal) officials in Philadelphia advising their constituents of the location of the nearest Convenience Center, days of operation and list of materials accepted.
- All Philadelphia Community Development Corporations and Neighborhood distribute public service announcements to their participants about the city’s Sanitation Convenience Centers.
- Mayor Kenney’s Zero Waste and Litter Cabinet review the success of the 6 centers and assess whether additional centers in high dump areas could help reduce illegal dumping.
- Mayor Kenney’s Zero Waste and Litter Cabinet conduct pilot study to see if a neighborhood based services can be provided to collect materials from eligible residents and transfer this material to a Convenience Center. This could help in those situation where resident needs help to get the trash to one of the 6 Centers.